Monday, January 16, 2012

Crescent Calzones


I love homemade food as much (if not more) than the next guy, but I have no self control when it comes to these bad boys.

I love crescent rolls. I love the buttery flavor. I love how flakey they are. I love that they only take a few minutes to put together. I love how they're shaped. I love that they feel so light. The only thing I don't love is the sound they make when you have to open the can. I will just admit now, I jump/squeal a bit every time I open them. (Is this just me? I'd like to think this is a widespread problem.)

I also love cheese. I once told the hubster "There's no such thing as too much cheese" and he will NEVER let me live it down. I wish I could say I don't believe that and that I'm a classy, self-controlled lady, but I'm not. I love cheese. And dessert.

So, imagine my delight when I came upon this genius idea! It's sheer perfection :)


This is all you need for  a de-lish lunch or quick dinner. Notice the Crescents are already opened. Being the teacher I am, I couldn't resist cutting the box top off that sucker A.S.A.P. If you know a teacher, a school, or a child somewhere - please cut off any box tops you see and give it to them. They raise tons of money for schools! There, done with my school plug.


Open the crescents (or have a loving friend do it for you) and separate them into individual triangles. 


I'm a doofus and forgot to take a picture. Create one in your mind. You can do it. Imagine the crescents...



Arrange five pepperoni on the large end of the crescent roll. I think staggering them like this is pretty.. but it also holds the cheese in place.


Put cheese piece on top. 



Roll baby roll. 



Once you're here, if you have extra on the end, pull it over the opening. If you don't, do not fear. No cheese will melt out - the string cheese just gets soft, not liquid-y melted.




Arrange and bake. Sit patiently. Wash the dishes. Do something to fill your 11 minutes of time. I promise, it goes by faster if your not just standing and staring.



Pull them out of the oven and stare in delight at the miracle pockets of joy that are in front of you. Pizza-Crescents-Cheese = Perfection. 

Crescent Calzones

1 package Crescent Rolls 
4 string cheeses, cut in half (so you have 8 pieces total)
40 regular or turkey pepperoni

Preheat oven to 375 F

Open Crescents and separate. 

Arrange 5 pepperoni on the wide end of the crescent triangle. Place string cheese half on top of pepperoni.

Roll up crescent roll, starting with wide, pepperoni/cheese side. Pull edges of roll to top to seal the sides.

Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. 

Bake for 11-13 minutes until golden brown.

Eat and try to share if you must.

2 comments:

  1. Yum!!! I am surprised the cheese doesn't melt out everywhere!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amie, just ran across your blog! I think we would get along great :D I too love cheese (just look at the title of my blog) and crescent rolls but hate the sound the can makes. My husband opens them for me and I go in the other room! It's the startle factor. Also this upcoming school year I will be doing my student teaching! Are you an elementary teacher?

    ReplyDelete