Monday, November 18, 2013

Saffron Indian Restaurant in Tucson

I have a new-found love for tikka masala. I could eat it all day. In fact, I'm planning on learning how to make it later this week. This new love was sparked by a great experience at Saffron.


Going out to eat has been a new challenge since gaining these lovely food restrictions. Like, I get stressed out before going out to eat and have to look at their menu before hand. Most Indian food is naturally gluten free (which means wheat free!). Yay! Rice, sauce, and meat for the win.

Drew and I hadn't been here before and decided to give it a try on Friday. On our way there, I realized that I forgot my epi-pen in my other purse. Still getting used to carrying it all the time! Oh well, I'd be sure I was careful.

The restaurant was beautiful. The decor was modern and clean and there was a quiet buzz throughout the restaurant.

First, they bring you these amazing cracker/wafters that are made from chickpea flower! AKA - wheat free! Wahoo! After careful inspection of the menu, we ordered. The waitress was great and was willing to answer all of my questions about which items were gluten free and if there were potatoes in the entrees. Drew wanted an appetizer and the waitress told us the best gluten free appetizer was the veggie fritters, also made with chickpea flower. Score.

Shortly after, the waitress brings our food and we enjoy our first bites. I instantly realize that there are potatoes in these. We talked to the first employee we could find (who happened to be the owner) and he confirmed what I thought - they were made with potatoes. I explained that I was allergic and realized that, while I asked if there were potatoes in the veggies, I never explained that I was allergic. The owner instantly pulled out an iPad with their menu on it and looked up an appetizer that I could eat. Drew talked with him as I tried not to cry and have a panic attack. What happened? I had been so careful when ordering, but just forgot last minute! I took the three Benadryl I had in my purse right away and tried my best to convince myself that I was going to be fine. I had one small bite.

They brought me new place setting right away and the waitress came over and apologized. Even though I explained it was my fault, I didn't think to ask, the owner came and made sure that our new appetizer was great, etc. and they took the delicious veggie fritters off of our bill. And the new appetizer was great - imagine a bloomin' onion takes a trip to India. Greatness.

Chicken Tikka Masala - Photo courtesy of the Tucson Citizen
The tikka masala I got was fantastic. Drew's curry was really flavorful. And the rice. Oh my. I didn't think I even liked rice until this.

Basically, if you are in Tucson and want Indian food, keep Saffron in mind. Their food was delicious and reasonably priced and their customer service was top-notch.

No comments:

Post a Comment